Memento Box

I'm a sucker for anything folk art. I love these etched products from a company called Sticks.  You can read about them here http://www.sticks.com/about-sticks.html.

 
I had a simply splendid idea to create my own folk art piece.  I purchased a wooden treasure chest that was on clearance from my local craft store.


First, I sketched a design  on it.  Then, I used my wood burning tool to etch the design.  I bought my wood burning tool years ago and had never used it. This was the perfect project for it.  The tool was pretty simple to use.  Just plug it in, let it get hot, and burn away.  Though, wood burning curved edges proved difficult. I had to burn a series of dots closely together along the curved edges.  If I make another project I will experiment with some different special technique points.  Afterwards, I painted, sanded, stained, and painted, sanded, and stained the project until I was pleased with how it looked.  Finally, I put a coat of varnish over it, and viola' project complete.
  


One of my best friends moved away to North Carolina, tho, tho sad:(  So, I'm going to fill this chest with some of our family pictures and mementos from the area and send it her way.  
Happy crafting,
Michelle



Comments

Popular Posts